Tuesday, September 9, 2008

52 Books in 2008 #31-34

Book #34
Falling Leaves - Adeline Yen Mah
Ten pages in I realised I had read this before. Fortunately it was still okay the second time.

Book #33
The Summons - John Grisham
Not bad. Passed the time.

Book #32
Rowing to Latitude - Jill Fredston
A book about a couple who row and kayak around the Artic Circle. Cool. Made me want to go out and buy a kayak. I probably won`t though. For the time being anyway...

Book #31
Looking For Alaska – Peter Jenkins
I started off liking this book, being about travel and the outdoors etc, but this guy’s writing style bugged me more and more as I went along. He only ever said positive things about everyone and everything connected to Alaska, including his family. It just got irritating hearing how amazing all his new friends and his family are, particularly his daughter. The only time he ever got negative was to talk about “tourists”, which of course is what he was, when it comes down to it. I also thought he used far too many words. This sentence, in particular, grated. “He ate some of the fantastically tasty leftover pizza and we all went to bed” (p. 313). Firstly “fantastically” should never be used in any kind of sentence. It’s just wrong. Secondly, “tasty” is completely redundant when it comes to describing pizza. Pizza is always good, so there`s no point in using an adjective to describe it - everyone knows it`s going to do the job. Unless you`re in Japan that is, you can get some pretty weird “pizza” over here. Peas and carrots?! I don`t think so. However the word “leftover” I can deal with. No issues there. This one sentence summed up the book for me though, too many words.

No comments: