Wednesday, July 30, 2008

52 Books in 2008 #21-30

Book #30
A Widow For One Year – John Irving
Why do all his characters have to be maladjusted freaks? Can`t for once there be someone normal??? This book was funny, although I didn`t like how one of the main characters, Eddie dropped out of sight in the middle section of the novel, only to return at the end. This kind of thing happened in The Fourth Hand as well.

Book #29
Digital Fortress – Dan Brown
AKA How to Write to Formula. Are all his books identical? He uses the same pattern every single time (well of the three that I have read anyway) and the villain is TOO easy to work out. I was even liking this one, due to the foreign language expert guy, but just disillusioned by the end.

Book #28
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
This was the fourth time to read this in about a year and a half. Although I do like the book, this time was due to not having anything else to read. However my new favourite quote is... "Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas" (Page 12). Awesome.

Book #27
The Big Bounce - Elmore Leonard
Apparently two really bad movies were made out of this. The book was all right though.

Book #26
From Russia With Love, Dr No, Goldfinger - Ian Fleming
Well, it`s August 16th and I finished reading my 26th book - half-way through. Technically this was three books, but it was all in one volume, so I only counted it as one. Bummer. As for this Bond guy, all I can say is that he certainly likes his liquor.

Book #25
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Man, so predictable. I can`t say I knew the plot intricacies in advance or anything, but working out the villain wasn`t overly hard. This should be more difficult.

Book #24
The Perfect Storm - Sebastian Junger
Sometimes he went overboard (no pun intended... yeah right) on the ins and outs of fishing boats, but when he didn`t it was a pretty interesting book. Really makes me want to get into commercial fishing. Really.

Book #23
Lucky Man - Michael J. Fox
Thought this was going to be about all the chicks he pulled as Alex P. Keaton and Marty McFly. It wasn`t though. Funnily enough.

Book #22
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Two words. Pen name.

Book #21
Hokkaido Highway Blues - Will Ferguson
I thought I had read a bad review of this, so I shied away from it for a while. Pretty funny book though, and teaches you how to score a LOT of free beer while in Japan. For those who don`t already know...

Great quote. "I have a theory about museums: they suck. People say they like museums, but they are lying. What they are really thinking about is, What`s for dinner? and When will this be over? You don`t enjoy a museum, you lump it, like cough medicine or opera. The only compliment I will accept about a museum, and only a particularly good museum, is that it is not as boring as most" (Page 179-180). This is fairly true, with the exception of sports museums. They`re AWESOME.

No comments: